In a qualifying match of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, England won 5-0. Video highlights of England smashing San Marino can be accessed below.
Here are the match’s key moments:
- The game was played in the visitors’ half of the pitch from the very start. Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Raheem Sterling had some good opportunities, in vain.
- In the 11th minute, Elia Benedettini brilliantly intervened Jesse Lingard’s powerful shot from distance.
- A moment later, John Stones made a poor save from a header. It went just wide of the post.
- Less than two minutes later, Ben Chilwell flat-footed into the eleventh meter. James Ward-Prowse broke free of a defender. He hit a precise shot into the bottom right-hand corner for 1-0.
- Calvert-Lewin scored the second goal with his head after a Reece James centering pass.
- Sterling made his mark in the 31st minute. He ran into the penalty area and fired a powerful shot from an acute angle. The ball deflected off a San Marino defender and into the goal.
- At the very end of the first half, Lingard could have added to the scoring list. Again, though, Benedettini intervened expertly.
- Eight minutes into the second half, Calvert-Levin scored a second time. This time, Lingard spotted the completely unguarded Everton striker standing on the fifth meter. And he gave a good centre.
- Ten minutes later, Lingard could have added a goal himself. Unfortunately, his strike from an acute angle went straight at Benedettini.
- In the 72nd minute, Ward-Prowse struck from a free kick. After the goalkeeper’s intervention though, the ball landed on the post.
- Lingard’s long-range strike came moments later, but again Benedettini blocked it.
- Seven minutes before the end of the game, Ollie Watkins put the ball in the net. He scored with a precise shot from sixteen yards after a pass from Phil Foden.