Manchester United will host Burnley at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon. As United progress toward winning Champions League football next season, here are the relevant Manchester United vs Burnley predictions.
The Red Devils are 14 places and 30 points ahead of their visitors in the Premier League table.
However, in recent years, Clarets can be an unpredictable team on home soil. But they will play away from home, so United have a good, upper hand.
Harry Maguire, Scott McTominay, and Luke Shaw are all fit to start after missing the Thursday match against Granada. They were, all three, subject to suspension then.
Eric Bailly, who returned from the Ivory Coast early last week after a bout of COVID-19, is doubtful. Still, he could make the matchday squad on Sunday.
Marcus Rashford was not fully fit in midweek, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should be able to use him tomorrow.
Mason Greenwood will have to settle for a spot on the bench after nearly playing the whole 90 minutes on Thursday. Pogba and Cavani were resting then, and Rashford was yet due to return.
This season, Dean Henderson has been careful, but he will likely finish the season as United’s number one goalkeeper.
Manchester United possible starting lineup (4-2-3-1): Henderson; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw; Fred, McTominay; Rashford, Fernandes, Pogba; Cavani
As Burnley travel to Old Trafford on Sunday, they expect to get Nick Pope back from a shoulder injury.
Still, Pope’s position in the side is ‘touch and go,’ according to Sean Dyche. So, Dyche has Bailey Peacock-Farrell on standby for Pope.
After picking up a bump, Dwight McNeil is a “maybe” for Dyche. His absence will be a major blow to the away side.
Charlie Taylor, Jack Cork, and Jay Rodriguez are the other options.
Burnley possible starting lineup (4-4-2): Peacock-Farrell; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Pieters; Gudmundsson, Brownhill, Westwood, McNeil; Wood, Vydra
Manchester United vs Burnley Predictions:
- Manchester United took a huge step towards winning second place last weekend by defeating both Tottenham and third-placed Leicester.
- A victory over Burnley will cut the deficit between them and league leaders Manchester City to eight points. City won’t lose their matches, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will want to finish with points close to Pep Guardiola’s team.
- Meanwhile, Burnley’s recent record at Old Trafford cannot be overlooked. They will head into this game with a level of confidence higher than they would under usual circumstances.
- Thouhg, Burnley have now lost back-to-back Premier League games and are seven points above the bottom three. While they are unlikely to be dropped from this place, Dyche’s team might relax for the final few season games.
- However, the Man United squad is in fine shape and they may compete in the Champions League next season.
- We predict United to win another major three points at home, even though it won’t be by much.