Real Madrid advanced to the Champions League semi-finals even after playing 0-0 in the second leg of the quarterfinals. Though the teams played a scoreless draw at Anfield, Real qualified on a 3: 1 advantage from the first leg. Here are some important Liverpool vs Real Madrid extended highlights.
Having qualified for the semis, Real will play against Chelsea for a spot in the final. The first leg will kick off on April 27th or 28th, and the return leg, a week later.
Watch the exciting Liverpool vs Real Madrid extended highlights here, and an explanation of the highlights below:
- Within the first two minutes itself, Liverpool opened their attack. Mohamad Salah struck a shot but the ball only hit Real goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois’ leg.
- Just over the 2-minute mark, Roberto Firmino almost intercepted Sadio Mane’s pass, close to the post, but missed. Salah rushed to reshoot the ball but it was blocked by a Real defender.
- In the 8th minute, Luka Modrić let loose a strike from afar but the ball flew over the goalpost.
- Karim Benzema had an injury scare in the 9th minute, trying to head the ball.
- James Milner’s shot in the 10th minute just missed the mark after Courtois blocked it with his hand. Ozan Kabak’s header at the 17th minute also went too high.
- Benzema ran across the field and almost scored a goal in the 19th minute. But the tripod saved Alisson and Liverpool. Alisson then made a beautiful save seconds later, when a shot from afar reached him.
- In the 38th minute, after Trent Alexander-Arnold made an excellent cross, Mane had the chance to score, but didn’t. Two minutes after this, Salah also lost an opportunity to score. Georginio Wijnaldum also missed a minute later, but Jurgen Klopp seemed happy with this Liverpool side.
- At exactly the beginning of the second, Firmino shot from the top of the box from the turn. But the ball flew to Courtois who defended it quick and easy.
- For most of the remaining second half, Liverpool camped in Real’s half and their several attempts proved to be inaccurate.
- In the 65th minute, Vinicius Junior ran to score a goal after a long pass. But Alisson ran to meet him, blocked the ball, and defended it against Benzema’s follow-up shot as well.
- Salah, Firmino, and Diogo Jota all attempted to score after this, but it was in vain.