On Tuesday, two continental titans meet under the Wembley arch in the Euro 2020 semi-finals. When old rivals Italy and Spain meet tommorow, you’ll already have an estimation with our football prediction – Italy vs Spain.
In this rematch of the one-sided 2012 final between the two proud nations, both teams are aiming for a place in the championship’s final game.
Italy qualified to the semis by exactly following our football prediction of winning the quarterfinals 1-2 over Belgium.
Meanwhile, Spain will face Italy in the Euro 2020 semis after barely defeating fellow quarterfinalists Switzerland, in a penalty shootout.
- Leonardo Spinazzola will miss the Euros after suffering an Achilles injury in Italy’s 2-1 win over Belgium.
- As such, Emerson is the most likely replacement for Spinazzola at left-back. Though, Lorenzo Pellegrini and Alessandro Florenzi are still undergoing evaluation.
- In attack, Roberto Mancini must make a decision. Ciro Immobile had a dismal performance against Belgium, and Mancini may give Andrea Belotti his place in the starting lineup.
- However, Federico Chiesa is expected to preserve his spot.
Italy possible starting lineup: Donnarumma; Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Chiellini, Emerson; Barella, Jorginho, Verratti; Chiesa, Immobile, Insigne
- Luis Enrique is unlikely to make wholesale changes to his starting lineup.
- Pau Torres started instead of Eric Garcia against Switzerland, and the Villarreal defender may preserve his place alongside Aymeric Laporte.
- Pablo Sarabia, who was a significant doubt against Switzerland, will now have an MRI scan for an adductor ailment. And as such, Ferran Torres could fill in for him.
- Gerard Moreno squandered his chance to seriously challenge Alvaro Morata for a starting berth up front against Switzerland, and here.
Spain possible starting lineup: Simon; Azpilicueta, Laporte, Torres, Alba; Koke, Busquets, Pedri; Torres, Morata, Olmo
Football Prediction – Italy vs Spain
- Italy ensured Belgium’s elimination from Euro 2020 after they secured a 2-1 win over the Red Devils in Munich. From the last-16 onwards, though, the Azzurri haven’t been at their barnstorming group stage best. However, they’ve still been difficult to break down, and indeed have a record winning streak going, which is crucial here.
- Meanwhile, in Friday evening, Spain had to face extra time for the second time in as many games against Switzerland. So, an extra hour of football could catch up with La Roja.
- Spain have scored more goals than any other team at Euro 2020, netting 10 of those 12 within two games. However, they have struggled to finish, and they could be exposed at Wembley against an Italy side that hasn’t conceded a goal from open play in 13 games.
- Italy should thus be able to take advantage of Spain’s profligacy in the first semi-final of Euro 2020. The Italians, in other words, should be able to clinch a place in the final.
These two nations meet for the third time in the Euros, and this match will be extremely tough to predict.
Indeed, only a few moments of individual quality may decide the match across 90 minutes, and probably even longer.
Spain can deny Italy possession and disrupt their mesmerizing rhythm, and so, we cannot just dismiss them, off the bat.
Italy, on the other hand, may make it to the final because of their superior cutting edge when it counts.