Manchester United return to Premier League action on Saturday afternoon when they square off against Watford. And for this domestic fixture, our in-house expert has offered an educated Premier League football prediction – Watford vs Manchester United.
Having lost three of their most recent EPL four fixtures, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side find themselves down in the standings. They are as low as in sixth position on the top flight table, currently.
Plus, to add to the Norwegian’s frustration, there are a number of key players in the treatment room. And he himself continues to fight for his future at Old Trafford (football prediction).
- Juraj Kucka is suffering a suspension for Watford after his red card before the international break.
- Kiko Femenia and Francisco Sierralta both returned from injury before the break, but only the former may play here. That is because the latter is now back on the sidelines after a recurrence of his hamstring injury.
- Nicolas Nkoulou made his full Watford debut against Arsenal before the break and should keep his place in defence here.
- Ozan Tufan is recovering from a leg injury and is a doubt here. His absence could cause a shift in formation to 4-4-1-1 with Joao Pedro coming in.
- Tom Cleverley, Joshua King and Ben Foster are all former Manchester United players but all three might yet play here.
Watford possible starting lineup: Foster; Rose, Nkolou, Cathart, Femenia, Dennis, Sissoko, Cleverly, Sarr, Pedro, King
- After a dire performance against Manchester City before the break, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should really be making wholesale changes.
- The likes of Donny van de Beek (transfer rumours) and Jesse Lingard deserve starts here but that still feels unlikely. The head coach may give Jadon Sancho and Anthony Martial chances, however.
- Scott McTominay should be fine to play here after recovering from a throat infection he contracted during the international break.
- Meanwhile, Fred will need an assessment after his late return from South America.
- Marcus Rashford pulled out of the England squad to work on his fitness but should be available here, this weekend.
- Luke Shaw should also be available after missing international duty with England due to a head injury.
- We expect Edinson Cavani and Raphael Varane to miss out at Vicarage Road on Saturday.
- Paul Pogba still has one game left to serve on his three-match ban. But a thigh injury (the football news) he sustained when the international break started has ruled him out for weeks.
Manchester United possible starting lineup: de Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Sancho, Fernandes, Martial, Ronaldo
- Manchester Utd have won 15 of their last 17 matches against Watford in all competitions.
- Moreover, the Red Devils are undefeated in 30 of their last 31 away matches (Premier League).
- Also, Man Utd have been winning at both half time and full time in 7 of their last 8 matches against Watford in all competitions.
- There have been over 2.5 goals in Man Utd’s last 3 away games (Premier League).
- Finally, Man Utd have scored at least 2 goals in their last 3 away matches (Premier League).
Premier League Football Prediction – Watford vs Manchester United
- Watford have lost three of Claudio Ranieri’s first four matches in charge. Watford have lost back-to-back 1-0 to Southampton and Arsenal after a 5-2 win away to Everton, which was also shocking.
- As for Manchester United, the international break came at the right time for Solskjaer, though the pressure is still on. Supporters are quickly losing faith in the manager after a very bad start to the season.
- To put it bluntly – United have lost four of their last six in the Premier League.
- Furthermore, they have generally struggled at Vicarage Road in recent times.
- United have conceded in each of their last seven matches away to Watford. And they only have two clean sheets in two of 11 league matches this season.
- It looks like they’ll have to do it the hard way again to win this away match here.