Manchester United will resume their Premier League season at home against Everton on Saturday afternoon. And for this fixture at Old Trafford, we present our Premier League football prediction – Manchester United vs Everton.
In Premier League, though, Manchester United are fourth in the table, one point behind current leaders Liverpool.
Meanwhile, Rafael Benitez’s Everton are fifth, but actually tied for points (13) with their opponents this weekend at Old Trafford.
Watch the expert preview on this match, and others, from Matchweek 7 of the English Premier League:
- Manchester United’s Aaron Wan-Bissaka will return here from suspension, but captain Harry Maguire remains on the sideline due to injury.
- Despite being named in England’s squad, Luke Shaw may have to sit out again today due to a shoulder injury. On standby to replace him are Alex Telles and Diogo Dalot.
- Given the short time between games, Solskjaer should use this opportunity to flex his roster. In this case, he’d do well to start Jesse Lingard, Nemanja Matic, and Edinson Cavani.
- But it’s unclear whether Solskjaer will actually bench players like Bruno Fernandes and Cristiano Ronaldo. Especially after his game-winning goal in the middle of the week.
- Amad Diallo and Marcus Rashford will not be back until after the international break.
Manchester United possible starting lineup: De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Varane, Shaw; Matic, Fred; Greenwood, Fernandes, Pogba; Ronaldo
- Jordan Pickford and Lucas Digne returned from injuries to start Everton’s 2-0 win over Norwich last Saturday. However, the former is now doubtful to play here.
- Rafa Benitez, on the other hand, will have to wait until after the international break to bring back Seamus Coleman. He will also have to wait to use Richarlison, and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
- Alex Iwobi is also a big question mark for the game on Saturday.
- With Iwobi out, it wouldn’t be surprising if Benitez deployed a back three. He may move Lucas Digne further forward with Ben Godfrey at left back. Iwobi’s replacement, Anthony Gordon, is a natural choice, of course.
- Andre Gomes is on the sidelines, while we expect Jean-Philippe Gbamin to start on Saturday.
Everton possible starting lineup: Pickford; Godfrey, Mina, Keane, Digne; Townsend, Doucoure, Allan, Iwobi; Gray; Rondon
Premier League Football Prediction – Manchester United vs Everton
- Manchester United had a horrible performance this past midweek, but David de Gea kept them in the game against Villarreal. And Cristiano Ronaldo scored the game-winning goal. The atmosphere at Old Trafford was electrifying, and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team will absolutely need to capitalize on it.
- Everton beat a struggling Norwich 2-0 last weekend to snap a two-game losing streak. Last time around, Rafa Benitez was able to welcome back some crucial defenders. However, his first-choice attack duo of Richarlison and Dominic Calvert-Lewin is still missing.
- United hasn’t lost at home to Everton since 2013, and if they want to keep up with their title rivals. They can’t afford to drop points here.
A fully present Everton would have liked to get at least a point at Old Trafford. But, in fact, they will be without a number of key players.
Meanwhile, Man United will almost certainly be better than they were against Villarreal on Wednesday.
So, we expect them to win all three points this weekend and possibly even maintain a rare clean sheet here.