On Sunday night, dethroned champions Liverpool face current Premier League champions Manchester City. For this must-see Premier League match at Anfield, here is our expert Premier League football prediction – Liverpool vs Manchester City.
After six games, the two powerhouses are presently first and second in the Premier League table. Indeed, Jurgen Klopp’s side is one point ahead of their championship rivals at the top.
Watch the expert preview on this match, and others, from Matchweek 7 of the English Premier League:
- Trent Alexander-Arnold may likely miss his second game in a row, thus James Milner will hold his spot at right-back.
- Roberto Firmino scored twice off the bench in midweek. Given his work rate, it wouldn’t be surprising if he started here instead of Diogo Jota.
- Curtis Jones is deserving of a start after some strong performances, but Naby Keita is back in the Liverpool squad.
- Meanwhile, Thiago has returned to the bench.
- Jurgen Klopp will hope Joel Matip and Virgil van Dijk can keep their heads after three games in a week. If he needs to replace them, though, Joe Gomez and Ibrahima Konate are ready on standby.
Liverpool possible starting lineup: Alisson; Milner, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson; Henderson, Fabinho, Jones; Salah, Firmino, Mane
- John Stones has yet to make his first appearance for Manchester City this season. But he and Aymeric Laporta are anyway out on injury, as we covered in the football news.
- Phil Foden had to return to his bench against PSG in midweek but will start here. This could possibly move Kevin De Bruyne to the false nine position.
- Jack Grealish has been a constant for City this season, but he showed signs of exhaustion against PSG on Wednesday.
- Both Raheem Sterling and Riyad Mahrez are also likely to leave the starting lineup. On the other hand, Gabriel Jesus and Ferran Torres are ready to take the stage.
Manchester City possible starting lineup: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo; Silva, Rodri, Foden; Jesus, De Bruyne, Grealish
Premier League Football Prediction – Liverpool vs Manchester City
- This season, Liverpool have gone undefeated in all competitions, although there have been glimpses of their frailty at times. Last weekend, they gave up three goals to Brentford, and two to AC Milan. Also, they couldn’t break down a Chelsea side that was down to ten men for 45 minutes (related football prediction).
- Manchester City rued several wasted chances in their 2-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain in a midweek Champions League football match. But Pep Guardiola’s team dominated Chelsea last weekend (football prediction). Still, they have failed to score in three of their first nine matches this season.
- Jurgen Klopp is the most successful manager against Pep Guardiola’s teams, having won Liverpool nine of their previous 21 meetings.
A matchup between the Premier League’s most explosive attack and the most tenacious defense should produce yet another classic.
Although, the visitors’ defense will almost certainly be unable to hold out against the illustrious home trio.
Guardiola’s side still has plenty of quality going forward and would have, with more luck, made Parc des Princes tremble.
Therefore, we expect the two managers to shake hands on a draw when the final whistle blows.