On Saturday afternoon, one of the Premier League’s marquee matches will take place at Stamford Bridge. Early league leaders Chelsea host reigning champions Manchester City, and here’s the Premier League football prediction – Chelsea vs Manchester City.
Chelsea leads the table with 13 points from their first five league games (latest football prediction).
Meanwhile, Manchester City is fifth with 10 points from their first five league games of the 2021-22 season.
Watch an expert preview on the Week 6 fixtures of the 2021-22 English Premier League:
- Édouard Mendy has missed Chelsea’s last two games. But Thomas Tuchel is confident he will be available for Saturday’s match against Manchester City.
- N’Golo Kante started against Aston Villa in midweek, so he’s unlikely to start again so soon.
- Reece James was fantastic in midweek but he too, may have to settle for a bench spot.
- After another underwhelming performance against Aston Villa, Saul Niguez also has no chance of starting here, but for other reasons.
Chelsea possible starting lineup: Mendy; Christensen, T Silva, Rudiger; Azpilicueta, Kante, Jorginho, Alonso; Mount, Lukaku, Havertz
- Manchester City have three consecutive away games against Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, and Liverpool So, it will be interesting to see how Pep Guardiola manages his squad.
- City manager Pep Guardiola already has much to concern him about the fitness of some of his key players. He will perhaps need to evaluate whether Aymeric Laporte, John Stones, Rodri, and Ilkay Gundogan are ready to start here.
- If neither Stones nor Laporte recover in time for Saturday’s early kick-off, Nathan Ake (the football news) will step in.
- Given City’s upcoming fixtures, it’s surprising that Phil Foden and Kevin De Bruyne played 90 minutes against (measly) Wycombe. This was as recent as the midweek, and they played despite the need for minutes.
- It wouldn’t surprise us if one of these two, Foden or captain De Bruyne, started on the bench against Chelsea. Anyway, Bernardo Silva will be ready to take over if necessary.
- Riyad Mahrez, who had a perfect 10 WhoScored rating against Wycombe, could find himself on the bench nonetheless here.
- At the moment, it appears that Ferran Torres and Raheem Sterling are vying for the starting spot in City’s midfield. The former may prevail in this battle.
Manchester City possible starting lineup: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Ake, Cancelo; De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Gundogan; Jesus, Torres, Grealish
Premier League Football Prediction – Chelsea vs Manchester City
- Chelsea has remained unbeaten in all of their games this season. Plus, they are three points ahead of Manchester City going into Saturday’s game. As Chelsea manager, furthermore, Thomas Tuchel has won all three games against City manager Pep Guardiola.
- City suffered a league setback last weekend when Southampton held them to a goalless draw. A defeat on Saturday would put City further back in the title race. Given their injury woes, a loss at Stamford Bridge would not be surprising.
Although it is still early in the season, the significance of this match cannot be overstated.
Both managers will be desperate to make a statement, so, it’ll be a tight and cagey affair at Stamford Bridge.
We anticipate a low-scoring draw today between the Champions League and Premier League champions, which both teams would likely accept.