Mauro Balata, President of Lega Serie B, confirms the resumption of Italy’s second division from June 26, while the Lega Pro considers play-offs and play-outs.
Today the medical protocol for matches was agreed upon, allowing Sport Minister Vincenzo Spadafora to give the all-clear for a return to the pitch.
“Serie B will restart from June 26, as we had already deliberated the date and now there is the OK from the Government, for which we thank Minister Spadafora,” Lega Serie B chief Balata told news agency ANSA.
However, there are also rumours that the authorities step against demands from Lega Pro / Serie C to end the regular season early because most clubs are not prepared to cover the medical procedure.
Instead, they will only be eligible to play the remaining play-offs and knock-outs, thereby making the promotion and relegation cycle fairer.
The group winners were due to be promoted anyway, with the play-off winner going to the fourth spot in Series B.
“Starting up again is a wonderful thing,” said Balata.