Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored a towering header and converted a penalty to score a brace for the first time in Serie A.
His first goal in the match was his second goal in as many games, following the Europa League trip to Ireland.
The highlights from Milan’s Serie A season opener match, ending in a comfortable 2-0 victory over Bologna can be found here:
- Roberto Soriano had his shot deflected wide within the first 90 seconds.
- Takehiro Tomiyasu got a decisive touch to force Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s angled drive inches after the Swede’s spectacular turn past the far post.
- Ismael Bennacer wasted a big chance when Ibrahimovic’s pull-back from the by-line shocked Lukasz Skorupski, prodding over an empty net from six yards on the rebound.
- Ibrahimovic broke the deadlock on 35 minutes. He sent a simple towering header on Theo Hernandez’s cross, redirecting it from nine yards in strength and accuracy.
- Moments later, Ibra was about to score with Rebic on a give-and-go, but was prevented by the last-ditch sliding tackle Danilo.
- In order to avoid Riccardo Orsolini from tapping in a Rodrigo Palacio cross at the back post, Bologna even challenged Theo Hernandez with a vital defensive header.
- In the second half, Ibrahimovic sent a strong but central shot over the bar that Skorupski palmed.
- Orsolini was initially penalized on the edge of the region for tripping Bennacer, but VAR stated the touch was inside the box, so Ibrahimovic converted the penalty into the top corner with a fierce side-foot.
- In the final minutes, Bologna threatened again, as Federico Santander thumped the woodwork on a free-kick from a tricky angle but the rebound was fired somehow over the bar.