Villarreal will face Manchester United for a final battle in Gdansk on Wednesday. In the Europa League final, Villarreal vs Manchester United is likely to go United’s way.
Around 9,500 fans will attend the final on Wednesday.
Two managers with varying levels of performance in the continental competition are preparing their teams for the final.
They will get to see either Unai Emery’s Europa League victories continued or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s first trophy leading United.
On Saturday, Villarreal’s La Liga season came to an end with a 2-1 loss to eventual runners-up Real Madrid.
On the other hand, United won the Premier League by the same scoreline over Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Europa League Final – Villarreal vs Manchester United: Team news
- Villarreal’s Samuel Chukwueze looks likely to miss out with a hamstring injury.
- Besides this major loss for the Spanish club, Tottenham’s Juan Foyth is also a major doubt.
- Pau Torres has been strongly linked with a move to Manchester United in the run-up to the summer. And now, he confirms that he will start at center-back for Unai Emery’s side.
- Carlos Bacca and Paco Alcacer are both vying for the starting spot up front alongside Gerard Moreno.
Villarreal possible starting lineup: Asenjo; Gaspar, Albiol, Torres, Pedraza; Trigueros, Capoue, Parejo, Yeremy; Moreno, Alcacer
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is unsure whether captain Harry Maguire will recover from an ankle injury in time for the final. Still, he will give him every opportunity to prove his fitness.
- However, Phil Jones and Anthony Martial are both unfit for sure.
- Axel Tuanzebe might start in place of Eric Bailly in the left-sided centre-back role against his former club.
- Finally, David de Gea is expected to start in goal over Dean Henderson.
- Mason Greenwood will feel cheated if he does not start. And that’s particularly because Greenwood is better on the right side than Marcus Rashford. But Solskjaer would be foolish to leave the latter on the bench.
Manchester United possible starting lineup: De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Bailly, Shaw; Fred, McTominay; Rashford, Fernandes, Pogba; Cavani
- The Yellow Submarine dispatched Arsenal 2-1 on aggregate in the final four to progress to the Europa League final.
- Meanwhile, Manchester United dominated Roma by eight goals over two legs. Now in the finals, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer seeks his first piece of silverware since taking office.
- Villarreal are considered underdogs for Wednesday’s Europa League final. But Unai Emery is a Europa League expert, so, they can be cautiously confident. Emery is the competition’s most prolific boss, having won it three years in a row.
- Moreover, this season, the Spanish team has not lost a game in the Europa League.
- Meanwhile, a Manchester United concern is that they have sleep walked their way to the final after reaching the semi-finals.
- Also, Harry Maguire is likely to lose out at the back is a major setback for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Still, the United coach is desperate to win his first title as Manchester United boss.
Moreno and his teammates may dominate in the absense of Maguire. And Villarreal should have no trouble breaking through the Red Devils’ defense.
However, we can see the trophy going to Manchester as Solskjaer’s ruthless attackers take their side to victory in Gdansk.