On Saturday lunchtime, Manchester City takes on Arsenal in gameweek three of the 2021-22 Premier League season. For this EPL clash at the Etihad Stadium, here is our football prediction – Manchester City vs Arsenal is a no-brainer.
In this clash between coaches Pep Guardiola and Mikel Arteta, who was once Pep’s assistant, the professor meets the protege.
Both teams won convincingly in their most recent meetings, with City securing a 5-0 win over Norwich City (football prediction).
Elsewhere, in the EFL Cup Arsenal dealt West Bromwich Albion with a good 6-0 thrashing – we covered the football results.
- Ilkay Gundogan recovered quickly from a shoulder injury to kick off Manchester City’s rout of Norwich last weekend. He will feature here too, we feel.
- Phil Foden is still out for Pep Guardiola’s team. And because Belgium manager Roberto Martinez has confirmed that Kevin De Bruyne will not play this weekend, the captain won’t player here.
- As John Stones returns from a lengthy injury layoff, Aymeric Laporte appears to be in line for a first-team debut.
- Gabriel Jesus shone from wide against Norwich, but Raheem Sterling and Riyad Mahrez are both vying for starts on Saturday.
- City announced Benjamin Mendy’s suspension on Thursday after the police charged him.
Manchester City possible starting lineup: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo; Rodri, Gundogan, Grealish; Mahrez, Jesus, Sterling
- Alexandre Laczette, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, and Martin Odegaard are all available, though Arsenal expect only the latter two to start.
- After scoring a hat-trick against West Brom on Wednesday night, Aubameyang appears to be sure to lead the attacking line. And with Odegaard in the No.10 position, Emile Smith Rowe may have to play out wide if he does start.
- Nicolas Pepe is on standby after Bukayo Saka suffered a serious knee injury against West Brom. Saka did, however, finish the match so he may still get to play here.
- Ben White will miss out on starting again, according to Mikel Arteta, in another setback for the Gunners.
- Pablo Mari had a nightmare against Chelsea last weekend, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he was dropped here.
- Kieran Tierney did not risk featuring in midweek, but he should be fit to play at the Etihad.
- Finally, Aaron Ramsdale may not take over in goal for Bernd Leno just yet.
Arsenal possible starting lineup: Leno; Cedric, Holding, Mari, Tierney; Xhaka, Lokonga; Saka, Odegaard, Smith Rowe; Aubameyang
Football Prediction – Manchester City vs Arsenal
- Manchester City thrashed Norwich 5-0 last weekend after losing their first game of the season to Tottenham Hotspur.
- Similarly, Arsenal earned their first win of the season with a 6-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday.
- But it is not ideal for the Gunners to play late on Wednesday and early on Saturday.
- So while Arsenal’s situation isn’t as bad as at the start of the week, they’re still up against it here. They’ve now lost five games in a row at the Etihad, after all.
The timely returns of Aubameyang and Lacazette, both of whom scored in midweek, will be invaluable to Arsenal for attacking.
In general, overall, the Gunners are in a far better position than they were against Chelsea.
However, Arteta faces the same old problems, as his team should put up a better fight.
So, City will likely easily blow them away by the reigning champions’ superiority.