Winners of the FA Cup, Leicester City and Premier League champions Manchester City will face off soon, on Saturday evening. For this meeting in the Community Shield at Wembley Stadium, here is our football prediction – Leicester City vs Manchester City.
Leicester City won their first FA Cup last season and here is the football news around it. Leicester earned a 1-0 victory over Chelsea in the final on May 15.
Meanwhile, Manchester City finished the 2020-21 Premier League season 12 points ahead of second-place Manchester United. They justified every football prediction last season to reclaim the title from Liverpool.
- Wesley Fofana left the field on Wednesday night on a stretcher and he appears to be facing a lengthy absence.
- With Jonny Evans also out, Wes Morgan is no longer at the club. So, Wilfred Ndidi may have to play in the back four tomorrow.
- With Ndidi almost certainly needed in defense, summer signing Boubakary Soumare could start in midfield. Ryan Bertrand, another summer signing, should also start, but Patson Daka may have to sit on the bench.
- Harvey Barnes hasn’t played in a competitive game since February, but he’s been a key player in pre-season. So, he could start here. As rumours of a move to Arsenal intensify, James Maddison could be a surprise absentee from the Leicester starting XI.
- Kasper Schmeichel and Danny Ward ‘s return boosted Brendan Rodgers’ first-choice in goalkeeping options in their 3-2 win over Villarreal.
- Timothy Castagne is still out after suffering a nasty face injury at the start of the summer.
- Finally, James Justin is also out for the Foxes.
Leicester City possible starting lineup: Schmeichel; Pereira, Ndidi, Soyuncu, Bertrand; Albrighton, Tielemans, Soumare, Barnes; Vardy, Iheanacho
- Manchester City are negotiating deals for both Jack Grealish and Harry Kane. However, only the former is likely to move over to Etihad Stadium in time for Saturday’s game.
- Kyle Walker, John Stones, Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne, Rodri, Ferran Torres, and Oleksandr Zinchenko have not played in pre-season, Indeed, they have been absent since Euro 2020, and it is unclear whether they will play here.
- Meanwhile, Phil Foden is out due to a foot injury that he sustained before the Euro 2020 final.
- Following his exploits at Copa America, meanwhile, Gabriel Jesus has yet to appear in pre-season.
- Thus, head coach Pep Guardiola, without Sergio Aguero, may have to be creative up front. That, or he will need to turn to one of the youngsters.
- Samuel Edozie has scored a couple of goals in pre-season and could earn a starting spot on City’s left wing.
Manchester City possible starting lineup: Steffen; Cancelo, Dias, Ake, Mendy; Fernandinho, Gundogan, Palmer; Mahrez, B Silva, Edozie
- On Saturday, FA Cup champions Leicester will face Premier League champions Manchester City in the Community Shield.
- Even though pre-season results aren’t all that important, Leicester have yet to win against Burton, Wolves, or Queens Park Rangers.
- Manchester City have been scoring goals for fun in pre-season, despite missing the majority of their first-team squad.
- It’s always difficult to predict how teams will perform at this point in the season,. But Leicester should have a stronger core of regulars available on Saturday.
Man City would undoubtedly have the advantage if both teams were fully fit.
But the Citizens will be missing a number of key players this weekend.
Leicester, on the other hand, have many of their key players available.
So, we expect the Foxes to win this trophy for the second time in their history with a narrow victory.
Our Prediction: Leicester City 2-1 Manchester City