12 months later than expected, Euro 2020, in it’s opening match, will see Italy host Turkey. Kicking off in the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, here’s the first of the Euro 2020 predictions – Turkey vs Italy.
Italy missed the last World Cup. Under the leadership of Roberto Mancini, Italy have seen a steady improvement in their performances since then.
And though they had to wait to redeem themselves, they are now confident going into this regional event.
After all, in the run up to the Euros, they won all ten out of the ten qualifiers in their group.
They scored 37 goals, while allowing (other teams to score aganst them) just four.
Italy also topped their Nations League group with an undefeated record, ahead of the Netherlands and Poland.
Finally, they have qualified for the World Cup with three consecutive 2-0 victories.
Turkey should be quietly confident in their Euros’ chances this summer.
After all, Burak Yilmaz and Zeki Celik have come off league-winning seasons with Lille.
Moreover, to add to their talents, Serie A duo Hakan Calhanoglu and Merih Demiral may also be playing against Italy.
Turkey: Cakir, Celik, Demiral, Soyuncu, Meras, Yokuslu, Tufan, Calhanoglu, Yazici, Karaman, Yilmaz.
Meanwhile, for Italy’s team, Marco Verratti is unlikely to be fit to start Italy’s first match against Turkey on Friday.
He has not even featured in either of Italy’s warm-up games because he is currently recovering from a knee injury suffered more than a month ago.
In Verratti’s likely absence, Nicolo Barella and Manuel Locatelli can start on either side of Chelsea’s Jorginho at central midfield.
Meanwhile, Ciro Immobile is expected to start ahead of Andrea Belotti in Italy’s first game.
Finally, Federico Chiesa and Domenico Berrardi are vying for the final spot in the front three alongside Lorenzo Insigne.
Italy: Donnarumma, Chiellini, Spinazzola, Bonucci, Florenzi, Locatelli, Jorginho, Barella, Insigne, Berardi, Immobile.
Euro 2020 Predictions – Turkey vs Italy
- Turkey have lost only one of their last 13 matches, and bets are on them to win this summer’s championship.
- Further, Turkey’s defense, which included Leicester’s Caglar Soyuncu and Liverpool’s Ozan Kabak, kept eight clean sheets through qualification.
- Also, they’ve tied with Germany and beaten the Netherlands, as well as defeating defending world champions France.
- But, at the same time, many people are betting for Italy to make a deep run at Euro 2020.
- It’s also true that Italy’s improvement under Roberto Mancini has been largely overlooked. They have not lost even once in their last 27 games, with their last defeat coming way back in 2018. Even though they haven’t met many major powers in that time, it’s still a remarkable run. So, since the last European Championships, their roster has grown significantly, with star talent in almost every position on-pitch.
- There will no doubt be a lot of jitters on both sides. And that’s not only because this is the debut game of Euro 2020, but also how strong either side is.
- While a draw is feasible, Italy will undoubtedly want to get off to a winning start. And we think they have the better team to do so.
Openers at big tournaments are generally tense affairs, and Turkey will try to keep up with that level of intensity. This is especially because Cenk Tosun, their leading scorer in qualifying, is out on injury.