On Thursday, the Netherlands will face Austria in Euro 2020 Group C. For the second match of either team, here are our Euro 2020 predictions – Netherlands vs Austria.
Because both teams won their respective campaigns on Sunday, both nations may play this upcoming match without too much pressure.
- With a goal against Ukraine, Wout Weghorst justified his selection. So, here, he will continue to lead the line alongside Memphis Depay.
- Matthijs de Ligt was absent from the matchday squad on Sunday. And as he continues to recover from a groin ailment, he may be absent here too.
- If Frank de Boer wants to shake things up in defense, Nathan Ake and Joel Veltman are choices to use.
- After coming off the bench on Sunday, finally, Owen Wijndal will want to replace Patrick van Aanholt at left wing-back.
Netherlands possible starting lineup: Stekelenburg; Timber, de Vrij, Blind; Dumfries, de Roon, de Jong, Wijnaldum, van Aanholt; Depay, Weghorst
- On Sunday night, David Alaba was a surprise starter at center-back for Austria. He was actually projected to play on the wing or in the center of midfield.
- Konrad Laimer earned a starting spot against North Macedonia and an assist in a 3-1 victory means he’ll start again.
- Julian Baumgartlinger was also a question mark heading into Sunday’s game. But he did come off the bench for a few minutes in the second half.
- On Thursday, finally, Sasa Kalajdzic will have competition from Marco Arnautovic for the starting position.
Austria possible starting lineup: Bachmann; Dragovic, Alaba, Hinteregger; Lainer, Laimer, Schlager, Sabitzer, Ulmer; Arnautovic, Kalajdzic
Euro 2020 Predictions – Netherlands vs Austria
- On Sunday, Frank de Boer’s side led 2-0 at one stage. After they levelled to 2-2, though, the Netherlands beat Ukraine 3-2 with a late comeback, an 85th-minute winner.
- After several shaky performances in the build-up to Euro 2020, Austria debuted with a good 3-1 win over North Macedonia. But this was only on Sunday, whereas they’ve lost all six of their previous encounters with the Netherlands.
- It was critical for both nations to start Euro 2020 with a win, because each entered the tournament shakily. The winner of this match will almost certainly finish first in the group, though.
Both teams had amazing matches and wins on Sunday, and so, we anticipate another exciting match on Thursday.
One more point from their next two matches will almost surely get them into the knockout stages. Therefore, neither nation is under much pressure.
Still, we expect the Netherlands’ superior quality and home advantage to pay out in the end.