If Wales win a point against Europe’s in-form team Italy at Stadio Olimpico on Sunday, they advance further for sure. With a spot in the knockout stages up for grabs, here are our Euro 2020 predictions – Italy vs Wales.
The Dragons earned four points from their first two games, most recently winning 0-2 over Turkey, football updates here.
Meanwhile, Italy has a perfect six-for-six record. They have already advanced to the next round, the first in Group A and Euro 2020.
- Marco Verratti will try to make the matchday squad on Sunday. However, he may have to settle for a spot on the bench, after Manuel Locatelli’s brace against Switzerland.
- Francesco Acerbi is expected to come in for Giorgio Chiellini. The latter suffered an injury in the first half of Italy’s 3-0 triumph over Switzerland in midweek.
- With qualification already guaranteed, Alessandro Florenzi is unlikely to take any risks here and start the match on the bench.
Italy possible starting lineup: Donnarumma; Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Acerbi, Emerson; Verratti, Cristante, Barella; Bernardeschi, Belotti, Chiesa
- On the other hand, Wales will likely name the same starting XI for the third game running.
Wales possible starting lineup: Ward; Roberts, Mepham, Rodon, Gunter, Williams; Morrell, Allen; Bale, Wilson, James
Euro 2020 Predictions – Italy vs Wales
- Italy will finish in the top two regardless of what happens on Sunday. They just need a point to claim first place now, however placing second may provide the most favorable knockout route.
- Wales won on Wednesday, getting closer to the knockout stage qualification of the European Championship for the second consecutive time. They will not tumble to third place easily now, and even then, four points will keep them in the race.
- This is the first encounter between the two sides since 2003, when Italy won 4-0 with Filippo Inzaghi’s hat-trick. After the break, now, expect Roberto Mancini’s side to come out firing.
There have never been any draws in the previous nine matches between these two teams. And Italy have won seven of them to Wales’ two victories.
The Azzurri have also won 10 games in a row and kept a clean sheet in each of those games.
So, it’s difficult to imagine the visitors breaking any of those streaks.
Both teams will make a number of changes. But we believe Italy will emerge victorious, with all three points and a clean sheet to secure first place.