Denmark will host Belgium at the Parken Stadium in Copenhagen on Thursday evening. Ahead of their second match in Group B, we offer our Euro 2020 predictions – Denmark vs Belgium.
Christian Eriksen’s cardiac arrest (football updates here) overshadowed Kasper Hjulmand’s side opening 1-0 loss to Finland.
Elsewhere, Belgium cruised to a 3-0 victory against Russia in their debut Euro 2020 bout, as we predicted.
- After collapsing, nearly fatally, against Finland on Saturday, Christian Eriksen is unavailable for Denmark. We send him our best wishes for a speedy recovery.
- After this upsetting event during the weekend, the Danish federation will have to check on the well-being of their players.
- Football is, naturally, the last thing on their minds at the moment, the first being Eriksen’s health.
Denmark possible starting lineup: Schmeichel; Wass, Kjaer, Christensen, Maehle; Delaney, Hojbjerg, Jensen; Poulsen, Dolberg, Braithwaite
- Jan Vertonghen injured his ankle against Russia and will need to undergo evaluation. To avoid any dangers, therefore, Thomas Vermaelen may be rotated in, in his place.
- After sustaining a double fracture in his eye socket against Russia, Belgium have ruled out Timothy Castagne for Euro 2020.
- Thomas Meunier came on as a substitute for Castagne and scored, so it’s reasonable to say he’ll start again here.
- Also, Kevin De Bruyne is expected to return to the matchday squad, but he may not start just yet.
- Eden Hazard is still working on his fitness for playing matches. But after coming off the bench against Russia, he could enjoy a promotion and start here.
- Axel Witsel has made a faster recovery than anyone envisioned and may now start against Denmark as a substitute.
Belgium possible starting lineup: Courtois; Alderweireld, Boyata, Vermaelen; Meunier, Tielemans, Dendoncker, T.Hazard; Mertens, Lukaku, Carrasco
Euro 2020 Predictions – Denmark vs Belgium
- Christian Eriksen fainted on the pitch against Finland on Saturday and required life-saving care. Thankfully, he has since been stabilized, and he now expects to fully recover.
- The midfielder’s health has understandably upset Denmark, though. The scenes were terrifying even on recordings, and it’s hard to picture what the players are going through right now.
- Meanwhile, Belgium cruised to a 3-0 victory over Russia. We expected nothing less from a pre-tournament favorite facing a dreadful Russia team.
- Given the closeness of many of Belgium’s players with Eriksen, though, this will be a difficult game for them, too.
Regardless of the score in the top left-hand corner on Thursday, Denmark fans will definitely be proud of their players. With whatever results, the Danish team is brave to play on.
So, Hjulmand will do his utmost to rally his disgruntled troops ahead of such a difficult match.
When Belgium visits Copenhagen, football will unite as one. Still, Martinez’s men must just concentrate on the task at hand when the referee’s whistle blows.
All in all, we do not anticipate Denmark to surprise the Red Devils and so Belgium may seize another three points.