Euro 2020 underperformers Austria take on tournament debutants North Macedonia in their Group C opening in Bucharest on Sunday evening. As Austria try for their first ever victory at the European Championships, here’re Euro 2020 predictions – Austria vs North Macedonia.
In North Macedonia football updates, their captain Goran Pandev has high hopes for their summer campaign.
Both nations are familiar with one another, having met twice during their separate qualification campaigns.
The two matches both ended with the Austrians triumphing.
- On Sunday, firstly, Watford goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann will start in goal for Austria.
- Konrad Laimer and Julian Baumgartlinger, both lacking in fitness currently, are risky and thus unlikely to start right away.
- Marko Arnautovic has rejoined the national squad, but even he may have to make do with a bench position here.
Austria possible starting lineup: Bachmann; Lainer, Dragovic, Hinteregger, Friedl; Grillitsch, Alaba; Lazaro, Sabitzer, Baumgartner; Kalajdzic
- The absence of striker Ilija Nestorovski can be chalked up to a cruciate ligament injury. So, Aleksandar Trajkovski will partner captain Goran Pandev up front.
- Igor Angelovski’s 3-5-2 formation is the likeliest we will see, and Leeds’ Ezgjan Alioski may play on the left side.
- Enis Bardhi and Eljif Elmas, who have played in La Liga and Serie A, respectively, have top-flight experience in midfield.
North Macedonia possible starting lineup: Dimitrievski; Velkovski, Musliu, Ristevski; Ristovski, Nikolov, Ademi, Elmas, Alioski; Pandev, Trajkovski
Euro 2020 Predictions – Austria vs North Macedonia
- Austria will go into this game thinking they must win to improve their hopes of qualifying for the last 16. And, why not? They have the personnel to do so in their Group C opening.
- Austria even has the far superior squad and is the clear favorite to begin their campaign with a victory.
- Meanwhile, North Macedonia have remained unbeaten in four games heading into Euro 2020, including a 2-1 win over Germany. So, they should also not be overlooked.
Both teams will be aware that winning three points on Sunday would give them a huge help.
It may aid their pursuit for at least one of the four available third-place spots, if not a spot in the top two in Group C.
North Macedonia will pose a threat going forward, we won’t mince our words. And they have scored in both of their previous encounters with Austria.
Still, we believe Foda’s team will have just enough in Bucharest to secure a narrow victory.