The FIFA World Cup is set to take place in Qatar later this year. The tournament kicks off with the hosts taking on another team from Group A on November 21 2022. The tournaments will conclude with the finals on December 18.
With all but a few of the qualifiers for the Qatar World Cup behind us, much of the footballing world has already entered the World Cup madness. 29 of the 32 teams that will be participating in the group stages of the tournament have been determined.
Nations that have qualified for World Cup 2022
Belgium, France, England, Spain, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Croatia, Serbia, Portugal, Poland
Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Ecuador
Iran, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia
Cameron, Ghana, Senegal, Morocco, Tunisia
Canada, USA, Mexico
FIFA World Cup: Draw everything you need to know
In order to determine which nations compete in which group, a draw will take place. This time around the draw is scheduled to happen on April 1 at 16:00 GMT at the Doha Exhibition and Convention Centre in Qatar.
Rules for the draw
- The hosts Qatar will join the seven best ranked sides in Pot 1 as one of the top-seeded teams.
- The hosts Qatar will be given position A1
- Eight groups of four teams each will be created with one team from each pot to form Groups A to H.
- Except Europe, no group should have more than one country from the same region.
- Europe, having 13 slots – the most in the tournament – will be allowed a minimum of one and a maximum of two teams in the same group.
- The draw will start with the teams in the top pot and work downwards, finishing with the bottom pot.
- After a team is drawn out, a second ball will be drawn to decide which group they are in.
- Unlike in previous World Cups, the match schedule will be decided afterwards and will not happen automatically depending on how teams are drawn out.
The 32 teams will be divided into four pots and the teams that are yet to qualify will take placeholders. The various pots are as follows.
Pot. 1 (seeded teams): Qatar, Brazil, Belgium, France, Argentina, England, Spain, Portugal.
Pot. 2: Mexico, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Uruguay, Switzerland, USA, Croatia.
Pot. 3: Senegal, Iran, Japan, Morocco, Serbia, Poland, South Korea, Tunisia.
Pot. 4: Cameroon, Canada, Ecuador, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Wales/Scotland/Ukraine, Costa Rica/New Zealand, UAE/Australia/Peru.