Liverpool will host Atletico Madrid for a Winners League Group B match on Wednesday. And they will be looking to accomplish a remarkable double over the La Liga champions (previous, first-leg football prediction). For this second leg between the two in group stage, here’s our Champions League football prediction – Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid.
- Naby Keita has returned to the sidelines of Liverpool after suffering a muscle strain in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Brighton.
- With James Milner and Harvey Elliott also out, and Thiago and Fabinho’s unavailability too, Liverpool will be short in midfield.
- So, we think, on Wednesday, Diogo Jota and Roberto Firmino will compete to lead the line for the home side.
- Meanwhile, experts anticipate Joel Matip to take Ibrahima Konate’s position at the back.
- If Jurgen Klopp decides to rotate Andy Robertson out of the team, Kostas Tsimikas is a viable possibility as replacement.
Liverpool possible starting lineup: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson; Jones, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Salah, Jota, Mane
- Antoine Griezmann is facing suspension for Atletico Madrid. This is because of his red card against Liverpool in the reverse fixture last time out in the Champions League.
- Luis Suarez would have felt frustrated at being on the bench against his former club last time out. But here, he will hope to start at his former home, away at Anfield, because Griezmann is under suspension.
- Joao Felix came off the bench to score a fantastic goal over the weekend. And for this reason, he will be a strong contender for a starting spot here.
- Diego Simeone’s side are likely to play without Marcos Llorente and former Liverpool target Thomas Lemar both, due to injury.
- Stefan Savic and Jose Gimenez are returning from injury, on the other hand. In other words, Mario Hermoso and Felipe are competing to complete Atletico’s back three on Wednesday night.
- If Geoffrey Kondogbia is fit enough to play, he should return to central midfield, because Atletico have a well-stocked defense. Rodrigo de Paul, on the other hand, is a more aggressive alternative to Kondogbia.
Atletico Madrid possible starting lineup: Oblak; Felipe, Gimenez, Hermoso; Trippier, De Paul, Koke, Carrasco; Felix, Suarez, Correa
- In Liverpool’s last three games, they have scored more than 2.5 goals (Champions League).
- More precisely, in their last three games, Liverpool have scored at least three goals (Champions League).
- Liverpool have won three of their last four games (Champions League).
Champions League Football Prediction – Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid
- Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp was furious after his team squandered a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2 with Brighton last Saturday. And though Liverpool are unbeaten this season, their defense hasn’t been as solid as Klopp would like. This season, they have given up leads to not just Brighton, but AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Brentford, and Manchester City.
- In his quest to make Atletico Madrid more offensively focused, meanwhile, Diego Simeone has failed to find an ideal balance. There should be equal weight on attack and defense, and that is missing this season. At least, they got the balance perfect over the weekend with a 3-0 win against Real Betis (football results). However, they have only won one of their previous four games, with mininum two goals conceded in three of them.
- On the other hand, Liverpool has been a bit of a mixed bag at home this season. They’ve registered three victories and three draws in all competitions. But with three wins in a row, they are almost certain to advance to the knockout stage. They only have to avoid defeat on Wednesday.